GSoC project- Sugar on Raspberry Pi image build
Rishabh Thaney
2017-06-25 14:06:32 UTC
Hey eveyone

The current image build for the raspberry pi 3 with Sucrose can be
downloaded from this link: https://drive.google.com
/file/d/0B1YK6wpv2W0eMG4tSGpEVE1URlk/view?usp=sharing

And the method used to reproduce can be found here: https://wiki.sugarlabs.o
rg/go/Debian/Raspberry_Pi

Please share your insights with the community if you're going to test the
image.

Login:
Username: pi
Password: raspberry

Currently there are 9 activities installed in the build.
Known issues:

1. Physics fails to start(known issue)

2. Write activity has a flickering screen.

3. WiFi issue- the raspberry pi can't detect wireless networks

4. Automatic switching to sugar from desktop manager- the RPi can't switch
to the Sugar desktop automatically after first boot, it needs to be
selected by the user from the top right corner.

Warm regards
Rishabh
James Cameron
2017-06-26 06:15:27 UTC
G'day,

I've reproduced your build.

I've forked the upstream repository, merged your patches, fixed a
few problems, and pushed to sugarlabs;

https://github.com/sugarlabs/rpi23-gen-image

GitHub Issues feature is enabled.

Changes were;

- turning off remote access via SSH, as it is a security risk given
that the username and password is public,

- use a template file instead of editing upstream files,

- add some of the missing dependencies,

- remove editor backup files.;

See the commits for more detail.
--
James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/
James Cameron
2017-07-03 06:50:41 UTC
Thanks to Thomas for testing and comparison of a recent Fedora SoaS
image, which has way more activities and has automatic login
configured.

https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Debian/Raspberry_Pi updated.

Given this, and the problems so far with rpi23-gen-image missing out
on recommended packages, and the two weeks it has taken to not fix the
automatic login, and their unfamiliarity with X server display manager
configuration, may I suggest the team switch to using Fedora SoaS?

This will set them forward on their task significantly, while still
meeting the original project idea.

There's also an issue with distributing the wireless firmware; Fedora
avoids it, but provides a FAQ explaining how to download it. As
Fedora has a problem with distributing, so too may Sugar Labs.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM/Raspberry_Pi?rd=Raspberry_Pi#Wifi:
--
James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/
Rishabh Thaney
2017-07-03 15:19:27 UTC
Thanks James for suggesting the Fedora SoAS, I did follow the instructions
on their page to flash it on my SD card but it still doesn't boot.

Moreover we did arrive at a fix for automatic login today and it's working
pretty well.
I wil work on reproducing an image with the automatic login fix and upload
it to my Sunjammer account.

Warm regards
Rishabh
James Cameron
2017-07-06 22:28:15 UTC
Please try the latest release candidate build 1.5 published yesterday,
see the edits by Thomas on the Wiki page. This will test whether your
problem with booting was fixed.

If the problem persists, please verify the data on the microSD card
using the method that I described in IRC; using dd with bs=1024 and
count set to number of 1024 byte blocks in the original image, piped
to md5sum. Compare the md5sum with that of the .raw file.

If the problem persists, please log a bug with Fedora. Sugar Labs
needs Fedora SoaS to work well, as it has a good set of example
activities.

Thanks for adding automatic login feature, but I've no idea what you
did.

Please also;

- update your GitHub repository; last update was 14 days ago therefore
your build is no longer reproducible,

- update your blog; it is two weeks out of date, (lower the time cost
of an update by reducing how much you write),

- update the Wiki page; by removing broken links and answering any
ambiguities,

- don't delete old builds so quickly; on people.sugarlabs.org it is no
longer possible to compare your previous build and the new build,

- be more consistent with file names on your people.sugarlabs.org
directory; the naming was inconsistent until you deleted an old
build,

- always mail to sugar-devel@ any new build; don't expect people to go
looking in your people.sugarlabs.org directory for changes.

Hope that helps!
[2]https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Debian/Raspberry_Pi updated.
[3]https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM/Raspberry_Pi?rd=
--
James Cameron
[4]http://quozl.netrek.org/
http://quozl.netrek.org/
Rishabh Thaney
2017-07-07 04:25:19 UTC
G'day James
Post by James Cameron
Please try the latest release candidate build 1.5 published yesterday,
see the edits by Thomas on the Wiki page. This will test whether your
problem with booting was fixed.
If the problem persists, please verify the data on the microSD card
using the method that I described in IRC; using dd with bs=1024 and
count set to number of 1024 byte blocks in the original image, piped
to md5sum. Compare the md5sum with that of the .raw file.
I had tried flashing my card using the method described on their website
but even that didn't work. I'll try testing it with the new changes made by
Thomas.
Post by James Cameron
If the problem persists, please log a bug with Fedora. Sugar Labs
needs Fedora SoaS to work well, as it has a good set of example
activities.
Thanks for adding automatic login feature, but I've no idea what you
did.
I will update the Debian/Raspberry_pi page with the method I used to add
the automatic login feature. I basically configured the lightdm.conf file
while the image was building, will share the configuration.
Post by James Cameron
Please also;
- update your GitHub repository; last update was 14 days ago therefore
your build is no longer reproducible,
Okay
Post by James Cameron
- update your blog; it is two weeks out of date, (lower the time cost
of an update by reducing how much you write),
I was working on my next blog post currently, I wanted to include the
method to add autologin feature in the post too which we added day before
yesterday.
Post by James Cameron
- update the Wiki page; by removing broken links and answering any
ambiguities,
- don't delete old builds so quickly; on people.sugarlabs.org it is no
longer possible to compare your previous build and the new build,
Okay, should I upload the build that I deleted?
Post by James Cameron
- be more consistent with file names on your people.sugarlabs.org
directory; the naming was inconsistent until you deleted an old
build,
That file which I deleted wasn't an image build but a raw file of the
build, I had uploaded that by mistake.
Post by James Cameron
looking in your people.sugarlabs.org directory for changes.
Was thinking of including the method to add autologin feature with the
image build I will publish on sugar-devel, will do both today.
Post by James Cameron
Hope that helps!
Thanks for all the suggestions :)
Post by Rishabh Thaney
pretty well.
I wil work on reproducing an image with the automatic login fix and
upload it
Post by Rishabh Thaney
to my Sunjammer account.
Warm regards
Rishabh
Rishabh Thaney
2017-07-07 13:37:54 UTC
G'day everyone

The WiFi issue(RPi3) has been fixed and I've configured automatic login in
the latest image build.
It also switches to Sugar session automatically.

The image builds for raspberry pi 2 & 3 can be found here:
https://people.sugarlabs.org/rishabh/

The repository used to reproduce is this:
https://github.com/Rishabh42/rpi23-gen-image

And I've also updated the Debian/Raspberry_Pi page with the method I used
to configure automatic login,
please refer to this page: https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Debian/Raspberry_Pi

Please note: The RPi 2 image has not been tested by me because I don't have
a raspberry pi 2, please share the test results
if anyone tests that image.

Warm regards
Rishabh
Post by Rishabh Thaney
G'day James
Post by Rishabh Thaney
pretty well.
I wil work on reproducing an image with the automatic login fix and
upload it
Post by Rishabh Thaney
to my Sunjammer account.
Warm regards
Rishabh
Post by Rishabh Thaney
--
James Cameron
[4]http://quozl.netrek.org/
James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/
Hrishi Patel
2017-07-07 13:47:32 UTC
I have both Raspberry Pi 2 & 3. I have tested on RPI2 and 3, and here are the results for RPI2 :

The Wi-Fi isn’t working like it should. It isn’t just connecting. Not sure if it is a driver problem. The Wi-Fi adapter I used is “Digisol dg-wn3150nu”
It showed the networks, but failed to connect to one. It lagged.

I shouldn’t just yet tell it stable.

Note : If you just switch off your RPI by pulling the plug, it will ask you for login after you start it again. So it’s a good practice to use Shutdown/restart function

http://quozl.netrek.org/
James Cameron
2017-07-10 04:09:59 UTC
Post by Rishabh Thaney
[...]
I will update the Debian/Raspberry_pi page with the method I used to
add the automatic login feature. I basically configured the
lightdm.conf file while the image was building, will share the
configuration.
Thanks for writing it up. I've rarely seen something done that way
before. The method is not reproducible or scalable. It could not be
left alone to complete the build.

Please write a shell script to make the change, and add the script to
your rpi23-gen-image repository so that the change happens
automatically during build.

rpi23-gen-image already has a set of these scripts, so you should
first make sure you understand how each script works; not just why it
exists, but also how it implements a change.
--
James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/
Rishabh Thaney
http://quozl.netrek.org/
Rishabh Thaney
2017-07-29 10:03:02 UTC
Thanks for the inputs James & Thomas, I couldn't test the RPi 2 image as I
don't have an RPi 2.
I will work on the issues with my mentor Hrishi, as he has an RPi 2.
Today I tested : *1
1)Stretch-Sugar_TurtleBlocks3D_fix-RPi3.img
on my Rpi3
wrote sd with cardreader using f26 MSW
What is MSW?
Fedora Media Writer (mediawriter)
https://github.com/MartinBriza/MediaWriter/releases
You mean MSW is FMW? Okay.
expanded 2d partition on 32 GB sd with gparted
Why? Isn't the expansion of the partition automatic on first boot?
It should be. If it isn't, that's an important bug.
Yeah, I know how to do it thanks.
But why do this? Isn't the expansion of the partition automatic on
first boot?
boots to color (X) then to f3
wireless works shows AP in f1
used browse to download irc-12.xo from activities
turtleblocks works
2) Stretch-Sugar_TurtleBlocks3D_fix.img-RPi2.img
on my rpi2
wrote sd with cardreader using f26 MSW
expanded 2d partition on 32 GB sd with gparted
boots to color (X) then to f3
used browse to download irc-12.xo from activities
I do not see turtle blocks in installed applications
Is it in list? f3 ctrl+2 If it isn't, that's an important bug.
It is not in list in Stretch-Sugar_TurtleBlocks3D_fix.img-RPi2.img
on rpi2
It is in Stretch-Sugar_TurtleBlocks3D_fix-RPi3.img
on rpi3
Thanks, that's an important bug. It is in one image and not the other.
I am not able to insert a USB and have it mount in the frame.
Thanks, that's an important bug.
*1 [1]https://people.sugarlabs.org/rishabh/
Tom Gilliard
satellit
NOTE: the HDMI display exhibits some tearing on the screen in both
instances.
Thanks, that's an important bug.
graphic tearing is tolerable but screen looks like it has an opened soda
in
background
I had to look up soda.
As Rishabh hasn't been changing kernel or graphics drivers, my guess
is that something changed in Debian and Rishabh will have to search in
the Debian bugs for it.
On the other hand, if nobody but you see this, then it is probably
your hardware. Electrostatic discharge or something.
--
James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/
Rishabh Thaney
2017-08-04 06:43:21 UTC
Hi eveyone

I have fixed the Physics issue in the latest image build and have also made
it reproducible, I also added TurtleBlocks(GTK3).

Please download the builds from my Sunjammer page here: https://people.
sugarlabs.org/rishabh/

Repository used to build the image: https://github.com/
Rishabh42/rpi23-gen-image

I will update my blog with the progress soon.

Warm regards
Rishabh
https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/File:Rpi_2_streach-.png
https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/File:Rpi2-streach-resized.png
http://quozl.netrek.org/
James Cameron
2017-08-09 23:16:44 UTC
Post by Rishabh Thaney
Thanks James for suggesting the Fedora SoAS, I did follow the
instructions  on their page to flash it on my SD card but it still
doesn't boot.
I've checked this again, and Fedora 26 SoaS works well on my
Raspberry Pi 3, with plenty of working activities and a good user
experience, including ALSA support and USB drive detection.

Strongly suggest that if you still can't make it boot, you need to
work that problem, because an unexplained problem could invalidate
your other work. It would be unfortunate if there is something
different about your systems.

You should test;

- with another microSD card from another manufacturer,

- with another Raspberry Pi 3,

An advantage of getting Fedora SoaS working is that you can compare
problems you find in Debian, just by swapping the microSD card.

Thomas says it works for him as well.
--
James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/
James Cameron
2017-06-26 06:19:16 UTC
Post by Rishabh Thaney
3. WiFi issue- the raspberry pi can't detect wireless networks
Well, the Raspberry Pi can detect them, but Sugar isn't displaying
them, and the cause is obvious in /home/pi/.sugar/default/shell.log

1498456935.164710 ERROR root: org.freedesktop.NetworkManager service not available

Once NetworkManager is installed, the Sugar neighbourhood view
correctly shows wireless networks.
--
James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/