Sugar Network backend replacement
Sebastian Silva
2017-06-10 20:01:37 UTC
Hi all,

As you know, Somos Azucar team keeps supporting the initial
implementation of the Sugar Network since implementation in 2012 and
deployment in 2014. We've been looking for a path forward that would
allow to continue supporting the current installed base, as well as
provide a basis to build upon.

Initial implementation was a custom back-end made by Aleksey that has
proven reliable and powerful. However, without his involvement, I don't
feel in capacity to maintain it or improve it. This has limited our
ability to push forward with the dream that Sugar Network is.

So I'm always looking for a simpler / better supported backend that can
provide an API like we have for Sugar Network.
<https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Network/API>

I've noticed a Flask project to offer a REST API on top of a SQLAlchemy
<https://github.com/prahladyeri/tiddly> database model. Perhaps this is
a path forward.

With this, we would have a path forward and out of legacy implementation.

Somos Azucar works on Sugar Network on a volunteer basis and so your
input would be appreciated on this approach.

Thanks in advance,

Sebastian
Charles
2017-06-11 00:31:15 UTC
Hi Sebastian,

After much reading about Sugar Network I found School Network
<http://school-network.org/hub> ... there must be a reason you don't use
that, could you say why?

Thanks,
Charles
Sebastian Silva
2017-06-11 22:36:01 UTC
Hi Charles,

Thanks for reading up on /Sugar Network/. We designed the system and
Aleksey wrote the back-end code (we wrote the front-end). Then, Aleksey
wrote another front-end which he released as /School Network/. As far as
I could tell School Network is without support too (e.g. the code is not
available) and it was never deployed in the field.

Since the burden of support is on us, we would like to simplify the
stack. I'm considering viable alternatives and community supported
components to provide the functionality deployed in the field.

If I see a clear path forward I might attempt to build it!

Regards,
Sebastian
Post by Charles
Hi Sebastian,
After much reading about Sugar Network I found School Network
<http://school-network.org/hub> ... there must be a reason you don't
use that, could you say why?
Thanks,
Charles
On Sat, Jun 10, 2017 at 2:01 PM, Sebastian Silva
James Cameron
2017-06-12 00:12:55 UTC
Post by Sebastian Silva
Initial implementation was a custom back-end made by Aleksey that
has proven reliable and powerful. However, without his involvement,
I don't feel in capacity to maintain it or improve it.
Instead of replacement, how would you improve capacity?

I've often found myself without capacity to maintain or improve
software components, and have chosen to improve capacity rather than
replace the components.
--
James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/