Read activity, EPUB and WebKit
Add Reply
James Cameron
2017-07-02 22:47:12 UTC
Is anyone available to port Read to the Webkit2 4.0 API?

Read uses WebKit 3.0 API for viewing EPUB files, with type
application/epub+zip.

WebKit 3.0 and WebKit2 4.0 are Python Gobject-Introspection APIs to
the embeddable web browser WebKit.

WebKit 3.0 API will no longer be maintained, and is going to be
removed by Fedora 27 (November) and Debian Buster.

An alternative is to remove the EPUB feature from Read, which is what
I'll do by August if a port is not done.

Please, no replies along the lines of "don't upgrade", "EPUB is
great", and "we need this feature". Waste of time. Spend your time
coding or finding a coder.

Also needing porting are the Help and Words activities.

https://bugs.debian.org/866649
https://github.com/sugarlabs/read-activity/issues/17

(WebKit is a trademark of Apple).
--